Re: Packages quality

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Packages quality
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 12:07:36 -0500

> I'm also curious what "redundant package" even means in this context. There
> are always many ways to achieve something and usually there's no clear way
> to decide if some approach is much better than the alternatives. Given how
> early we are with NonGNU ELPA I think that concerns about "obsolete" and
> "redundant" packages are quite overdone.

I don't consider NonGNU ELPA separately from GNU ELPA in this
discussion, and GNU ELPA is just as old as MELPA.

What I'm getting at is that users would benefit from extra info about
the packages, e.g. notions of popularity and health, some lists of
related packages including alternatives.

And it'd be good for us to make efforts at consolidating packages
(i.e. reach out and help package maintainers integrate their new package
with the older one they thought was crap, as happens too often).

        Stefan