Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 04:00:33 -0800

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> branch: main
>> commit 74116339a852129b98ff79e2eb3aa35b387aa006
>> Author: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
>> Commit: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
>>
>>     * elpa-packages (anzu): New package
>
> Hasn't anzu been obsoleted by isearch-lazy-count?

I don't know; I don't use isearch these days.  I remember using anzu
when I did.

I add packages mostly based on our formal rules, not on if I think they
are useful or good.  Some notable exceptions to this are s.el and f.el,
where we have decided that it is strongly undesirable to promote such
short package prefixes.  I have also skipped some other packages that
are clearly obsolete/no longer developed/bad or low effort, etc.

I am currently focusing on highly popular packages, and anzu clearly fit
the bill with over 1 million downloads on MELPA.org.  It also seems like
it is still maintained, with a new maintainer since March 2020, and
commits as late as October 2021.

But feel free to tell me why I'm wrong; I'm not married to it and if you
think we should remove it again, I don't think I will have any
objections.

BTW, maybe this should be raised as a ticket on the anzu bug tracker?