Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 02:29:49 -0500

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> I do a similar thing anyway. I can see recommending such a thing. But I
> wouldn't like Some Obscure Magic nearly forcing people to do it this
> way?
>
> (Yes, the last bit of your proposal: "do the ... as a default behaviour"
> counts to me as Some Obscure Magic. I much prefer to have the load down
> there in my init file explicitly).

You would have something like .emacs.d/init.el and .emacs.d/custom.el.
I don't think that looks obscure at all.

It would certainly be easier to explain than the current state of
affairs: "init.el is for any customizations you write yourself,
custom.el is for anything you edit with M-x customize".

If the name "custom.el" is the obscure part, you could name it
"options.el" or whatever is considered more explanatory.