Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 07:45:24 +0100

On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 07:13:59AM +0100, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez wrote:
> Hi,

[...]

> (setq custom-file (locate-user-emacs-file "custom.el"))
> (load custom-file 'noerror)
>
> What I propose is to agree on a default value for custom-file that could
> potentially be changed by the user in  init.el or .emacs
> and do the (load custom-file 'noerror) after loading the init file as a
> default behaviour for Emacs
>
> Having a separate customisation file by default can ease debugging,
> resetting customisations, bookkeeping, etc. etc.

Late to the party, but...

I do a similar thing anyway. I can see recommending such a thing. But I
wouldn't like Some Obscure Magic nearly forcing people to do it this
way?

(Yes, the last bit of your proposal: "do the ... as a default behaviour"
counts to me as Some Obscure Magic. I much prefer to have the load down
there in my init file explicitly).

Cheers