Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 10:24:49 +0000

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > straight.el is an alternative package manager that for the purposes of
>   > this thread clones a Git repository directly instead of fetching the
>   > package contents from a package archive like ELPA.
>
> Thanks.
>
> When you say "package manager", do you mean something like apt which
> manages a fixed set of packages, or something like package.el which manages
> a custom set of packages that the user specifies?

Neither is really fixed or really custom.  I can configure a list of
repositories that are updated and extended over time.  The difference to
me is that APT (DNF, Pacman, Guix, Nix, ...) are system package managers
while package.el (pip, gem, OPAM, go install, ...) are language/program
specific package managers.

>   >   I believe it does a
>   > bit more along the lines of functional package managers like Nix and
>   > Guix,
>
> Guix is like apt -- it manages a set of packages provided by a site.
> I think the same is true of Nix.

I mention Guix because of the "functional" aspect of package managing
(reproducible builds, atomic transactions, the ability to revert).  It
does not replace a system package manager.

--
        Philip Kaludercic