Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 23:15:28 -0500

  > >From straight.el/README.md:

Thanks for sending me this.

    > ## Features

    > * Install Emacs packages listed on [MELPA], [GNU ELPA][gnu-elpa], or
    >   [Emacsmirror], or provide your own recipes.

We do not want it to refer to MELPA or Emacsmirror.
That would put us in the position of legitimizing nonfree packages,
and treating that distinction as a side issue.

Fixing this would not be a big change, or difficult, but that
doesn't make it less important.

    > * Specify package descriptions using a powerful format based on [MELPA
    >   recipes][melpa-recipe-format] (with a familiar but improved syntax).

We would need to study the consequences of this feature, before
deciding whether we ought to support something like this.  What sorts
of situations do people use it for?  Why aren't packages directly usable
in the form that they are published?