Re: Motif support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 20:37:03 +0200

> Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 19:28:45 +0100 (CET)
> From: xenodasein@tutanota.de
> Cc: Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Quoting: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg02036.html
> From: Eli Zaretskii
> Subject: Re: Motif support
> Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 20:09:26 +0200
>
> > I don't think I understand what that means in practice.  GUI
> > programming for drawing is inherently system-dependent; for example,
> > the --with-x-toolkit=no build uses Xlib calls all over the place.  Can
> > you explain how something like that can work on all platforms?
>
> For the maintenance of the frame, true, but we do not need the platform
> to draw what we put inside that window, no?

Of course, we do.  Displaying text in a GUI window (a.k.a. "frame")
requires Xlib calls on X, Win32 API calls on MS-Windows, etc.  And the
fonts available on each platform OOTB are generally different.  And
then we have display of images, which again uses platform-dependent
GUI API calls, mouse and keyboard inputs and WM events that are
accessed using platform-dependent GUI API calls, etc.

> I still need to use X, Wayland, win32 etc.  But they need not
> dictate what the program looks like, as all video game look
> different.

Experience tells us that users on every platforms generally want Emacs
to look and feel like other GUI programs on that platform.