Re: Development Speed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 16:52:13 +0200

> Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 12:09:36 +0100 (CET)
> Cc: Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> From: xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> > I think we sometimes go too fast. However, I don't think we should
> > be putting a priority on making the code smaller. Most of the time,
> > smaller won't do users much good.
>
> I agree if the amount of regular contributions and contributors scale
> up with the code size.  Otherwise, wouldn't compromises be necessary?

Our Git repository is public, so everyone can study its statistics.
Do you have any evidence that the rate of changes and contributions in
Emacs deteriorates with the years?

> That is true, they should be done when a direction necessitates them.
> Ones that came to my mind were the TODO items I mentioned, but they
> are enormous.

That's a tribute to the many features that we already have, and their
development over the years.  It isn't like we have a lot of holes in
the feature set filling which is a low-hanging fruit.