Re: New package: resist!

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: New package: resist!
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 21:54:19 +0100

Le vendredo, 10-a de decembro 2021, 21-a horo kaj 34:38 CET Philip
Kaludercic a écrit :
> Qiantan Hong <qhong@mit.edu> writes:
> >> persist: it’s shorter, so shorter identifiers
> >>
> >> maybe even prsist
> >
> > Sounds good. I’ll do prsist then.
>
> (I know this is bike-shedding, but...) What is the point of leaving out
> a single vowel?  Doesn't using a "real" or at least pronounceable word
> avoid typos and make it easier to remember?

if you spell out the R like p’R-sist, you get the pronounciation of
persist.  Plus it’s a common tradition to leave out some vowels to make
identifiers smaller, such as cnt, ptr, itr (notice there’s still a vowel),
etc.

prsst could be possible, but the double s is weird, it’s less
recognizable, and prsist looks more like “resist” than “persist” (there’s
no “e” in the “wrong” place).

I didn’t think of what Qiantan said about completion and verb meaning, but
it looks sound to me.  Originally I wasn’t so convinced because “persist”
looked at least a little more beautiful, I proposed it because I thought
it since “resist” was suggested to be change into something more
meaningful.