Re: Deiconifying GTK frames on GNOME shell

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Deiconifying GTK frames on GNOME shell
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 08:31:02 +0800

Madhu <enometh@meer.net> writes:

> Hello, it is meant to make (select-frame-set-input-focus) "work" on
> wayland for the time being.  It is not a correct fix.  (x-focus-frame
> $a t) will raise the frame when it should not be raised.

That's because the GDK developers, in their infinite wisdom, think that
windows shouldn't give the input focus to themselves without also
presenting themselves.

> The problem I believe is that the gdk/gtk apis to raise/lower windows
> just doesn't work on wayland. Implementing frame_raise_lower_hook with, say
>       gdk_window_raise (gtk_widget_get_window (GTK_WIDGET
> (FRAME_GTK_OUTER_WIDGET (f))));
> has no effect.

If it doesn't work on Wayland, at least it will work on X-Windows, or
Broadway, or some other window system supported by GDK.

I see no reason to keep it unimplemented.

Thanks.