Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 21:11:21 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
>> Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 11:27:45 -0800
>> Cc: rpluim@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> Also, can we tell what is an init file and what is a package?
>
> Emacs knows when it loads the init file.  We could disable warnings
> during that load, perhaps.

That works until you require some package from there, I think.  In any
case, that would need someone to step up to write that code, and it
sounds a whole deal more complicated than just flipping
native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors to nil.

And even then, it won't fix the issue completely.

Please see the attached file with just the warnings I get from starting
Emacs with current master and my init file.  I disabled compiling my
init files, so this is just what I get from third-party packages.  Not
all of them though, as some of them aren't yet loaded -- I will have fun
with a *Warning* buffer popping up in the middle of doing something else
every now and then for the next week or more.

Some of these packages haven't seen updates in years, so I have little
confidence that these warnings will suddenly be fixed in time for Emacs
28.1, even if I did spend a day or two going through and reporting bugs
for all of them.  In some cases, I already have open pull requests that
have seen no action or reply in over a year (!).  And then remains, of
course, the many thousands packages that neither I or anyone else on
this list use.

I am all for showing warnings visibly, but this is an overly intrusive
way to do it, as is evidenced by the many complaints we've seen about it
so far.  In conclusion, I insist that we would do well to flip the
default of native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors to `silent' or nil
for the second Emacs 28 pretest.