Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 11:27:45 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> The situations where you seem to bump into this have nothing to do
> with Emacs sources, do they?

AFAIR, I haven't seen a warning related to Emacs sources in there in a
long time.  I checked the *Warnings* buffer in my current session, and
none of what I have there is related to Emacs sources.

> Why are you compiling your init files?

In pre-historic times I learned that it speeds up start-up.  These days
it's more trouble than it's worth as I routinely leave Emacs running for
weeks on end.  I've been meaning to disable it, but didn't yet bother.

However, I often see this practice recommended in the community, as some
people seem to care deeply about shaving that extra 0.2 seconds (or
whatever it comes up to) off their startup time.

> Anyway, if we want to disable warning when natively-compiling init
> files, how about doing only that?  I'm running a natively-compiled
> Emacs 28 for a couple of weeks now, and I have yet to see a single
> warning like those above.

We should note that this will lead to (potentially a lot of) warnings
from third-party packages, many of which are rather slow to react to
compiler warnings.  Maybe this will light a fire under them though.

Also, can we tell what is an init file and what is a package?

How do we see this affecting the first pretest?  I am ready to release
the tarball I have now, but if we want to change anything here I can
recreate and reconfirm with the relevant change at the drop of a hat.