Re: sqlite3

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 12:18:33 +0100

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> My only remark is that sqlite is usually used for exactly same purpose as what
> Emacs already has: customize. Your example:
>
>> (setf (persistent-data :namespace "emoji" :key "favorites") emoji--favorites)
>
> looks to me like something one would use customize for.

Is this historic use of customize not just a result of the lack
something like sqlite3?

FWIW, I think something like `package-selected-packages' is a minor
abuse of customize, and one which to me is rather impractical: when
synching my Init file between different machines, I don't necessarily
want to have the same packages installed on all of them.

For example, on my macOS machine I'd typically install some macOS
specific packages, that I don't want on my GNU/Linux machines.  Another
example is that I often install a package just to test it briefly, and I
definitely don't want that synchronized.  It is also not ideal that a
package is marked in `package-selected-packages', but is not even
installed locally.