Re: sqlite3

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 01:17:28 +0100

> Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> There is also https://github.com/skeeto/emacsql , which builds SQLite3
>> as part of its installation.  It's already available and in use by the
>> forge package (https://magit.vc/manual/forge.html), and it doesn't
>> depend on modules.
>
> "It works by maintaining a inferior process running (a "connection") for
> interacting with the back-end database."
>
> So it just talks to an sqlite3 executable over a pipe?  That's not
> really what we're looking for here...

Emacsql provides mainly two things:
1) An abstraction over different sql implementations.
2) A s-expressions dsl to write sql.

But I also think we should use syohex's sqlite3 module directly.  That
being said emacsql can be taught to use the sqlite3 module, in fact I
have already done that in the emacsql-libsqlite3 [1] package.

1: https://github.com/emacscollective/emacsql-libsqlite3

In my experience the sqlite3 module works reliably and I though I would
mention my wrapper around that in case Clément or some other Forge/Epkg
user would be interested in something like that.

     Jonas