Re: sqlite3

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 14:08:48 +0100

Qiantan Hong <qhong@mit.edu> writes:

> I really don’t like the idea of introducing an external UNIX-y
> dependency that significantly overlaps with Emacs Lisp itself,
> it’s almost like saying “let’s make Emacs programmable using
> JavaScript, because JavaScript is faster, safer, etc etc”.

I don't see any similarity between Lars' suggestion and the idea of
introducing a new language to rival Emacs Lisp.

> We don’t need the sql language. In most cases it’s no better than
> MAPCAR-ing and FILTER-ing, and it’s strictly no better than just
> embedding a Prolog interpreter in Emacs Lisp.

AFAIU, the idea is to hide away any SQL inside a new sqlite.el that will
provide some ORM.  I don't see this as fundamentally different to
depending on gdbm, or indeed any other store, which presumably also
would not be programmable directly in Emacs Lisp.