Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present

From: Jim Myhrberg
Subject: Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 02:50:58 +0000

>> Especially in larger Ruby RSpec test files (over 400-500 lines), where each
>> keystroke could take somewhere around 100-1000ms to register. Native-comp
>> solved all of that for me, with everything being fast and responsive, even
>> those worst case scenario RSpec files.
>
> Was that with lsp-mode enabled?
>
> Because otherwise, I routinely edit RSpec files longer than that, with no
> sluggishness like the one you described.

I having lsp-mode on or off didn’t really have much of an effect, and I’d had
performance issues since before lsp-mode existed. Though the biggest
performance killer in long heavily indented rspec files was the
highlight-indent-guides package. But even with that turned off, various
operations were still pretty slow most of the time, specially inserting a new
line which would often take a good 300-500ms on those problematic files.

Admittedly, I’ve not really tried running Emacs without native-comp for nearly
a year, and it was nearly 18 months ago I started using native-comp builds. I’m
curious now though, so I’ll create a local master build without native comp
tomorrow and see how it behaves.