Re: Proportional fonts in the mode line (one month test)

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Proportional fonts in the mode line (one month test)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 21:59:22 -0800

On 11/24/2021 5:53 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
I've now switched master over to defaulting to proportional fonts in the
mode line.  Customise the `mode-line' face to get the old look back.

I've made the most obvious things that change size -- the U:-- thing,
the top/bot, and the line/col thing -- use the `min-width' spec, so
things should jump around (for those that care about that).

Not sure whether to file a bug for this or just mention it here, but it seems that the `min-width' spec interacts poorly with `mode-line-client', which displays an "@" immediately after the colon in the U:--- thing for emacsclient frames. Normally, this would look like "U:@---", but now it looks like "U: @---". See the attached image.

To see this in action yourself, you can run:

  emacs -Q --daemon
  emacsclient -c foo.txt

Looking at the values for `mode-line-format' and `mode-line-client', I think this may be because both use `:propertize', and this causes some confusion internally?

- Jim