Re: Entering emojis

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 22:01:39 -0400

> Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:
>
>> I think the ideal interface to enter emojis would be to have:
>>
>> 1. a "recently used" list,
>>
>> 2. a search field in which you type something to describe the emoji
>> you want, like "pig", which displays a list with the "pig", "pig nose"
>> and "pig face" emojis,
>
> But how do you discover which emojis exist?  It didn't occur to me that
> 💰 existed before I saw it, but now that I know it exists, I'll find a
> way to work it into a conversation.  😪
>
> I think exploration has to be a feature of the interface, as well as a
> fast way to get to the ones you know you want.  So, sure, "recently
> used" would be useful, but we need something more than textual search in
> addition.

IOS is similar to what you described, and the first block is
"recents" and there's a search field.  So it covers all of
the above.

insert-char can be used, but I agree it would be nice if
there was a command that limited the completion table to
just emoji.  I do like the idea of a transient for selecting variants.

--

Howard