Re: master f8fed41 2/3: image-dired: Improve XDG compliance

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master f8fed41 2/3: image-dired: Improve XDG compliance
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 19:39:35 +0300

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 16:14:33 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > XDG is also prone to fashion changes.  What will we do when it goes
> > out of fashion, and we have dozens of xdg-user-dir calls in our
> > application code? change all of them to some latest desktop fashion?
>
> What do you mean by this? Shouldn't XDG as a specification prevent this
> from being an issue?

Sorry, I don't understand the second question.  What can "XDG as a
specification" prevent?  It cannot prevent XDG ceasing to be the
fashion, that's entirely out of control of any specification.
Fashions some and go, and when they come, users rightfully expect us
to support the latest fashions, and we generally comply.