Re: not quite understanding input methods

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: not quite understanding input methods
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 15:13:25 -0400

On 8/30/21 15:08, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 15:00:21 -0400
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>

Having thought about this, is `read_char` actually going to be called
under these circumstances? Remember that I've bound "<f19>" to a
function that inserts a character into the buffer, and it is that
character in the buffer that is in the quail rule. I may be confused
about how all of this works, of course.
Before a key sequence bound to a command causes that command to be
invoked, it (the key sequence) must be read, and that's the job of
read_char.  Only after F19 is read, Emacs calls the command to which
you bound it, and that command inserts a character into the buffer.

Yes, but the point at which the character that's inserted into the buffer is present is after the Quail input method was invoked by read_char. Again, I'm finding the stack of things involved in the input method getting invoked rather difficult to follow, but it feels like Quail doesn't actually look backwards in the buffer and thus could care less that I inserted a particular character there. That said, I don't truly get how all this works yet, there's no documentation and a heap of twisty code involved.

Perry