Re: not quite understanding input methods

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: not quite understanding input methods
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:37:43 -0400

> My guess is that something in the belly of Quail is reading events and not
> the characters in the buffer, but as there's no documentation I'm not really
> clear on what is going on.

This is a hard-coded limit in the C code side of input-methods, as seen
in src/keyboard.c (line 3117):

    /* Pass this to the input method, if appropriate.  */
    if (FIXNUMP (c)
        && ! NILP (Vinput_method_function)
        /* Don't run the input method within a key sequence,
           after the first event of the key sequence.  */
        && NILP (prev_event)
        && ' ' <= XFIXNUM (c) && XFIXNUM (c) < 256 && XFIXNUM (c) != 127)
      {

It's already been requested to lift this restriction in the (fairly
distant) past.

IIRC there's no technical reason behind this limit, it reflects an
assumption that non-ASCII chars have presumably already gone through
some (other) form of input method.

I think it would be good to lift this restriction, tho we probably want
to do it progressively, e.g. by first introducing a var that controls it
(so you could lift the restriction without potentially impact everyone
else).

        Stefan