Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 00:13:51 +0300

On 29.08.2021 10:42, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
Dmitry Gutov<dgutov@yandex.ru>  writes:

- Rebasing. Some of our valued contributors are not 100% comfortable
   with the more advanced features of Git, rebasing included. Our
   general recommendation until now has been to prefer merge
   commits.
Well, one of the co-maintainers is sceptical towards rebasing, and the
other one uses it exclusively, so I don't think we currently have any
recommendation on the matter.

Whenever a question arose about a recommended workflow from someone who claims not to understand Git well, the recommendation always came in the form "use merges, not rebase". Which is a good suggestion, I think.

A well-done rebase is indistinguishable from a "normal" branch, so of course there is no point in prohibiting their use.