RE: [External] : Re: fido-vertical bindings

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: fido-vertical bindings
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 15:42:17 +0000

> If the user can modify it then it needs to be a customize. The users
> shouldn't modify normal variables as they are intended to be for
> internal uses only.

Wrong.  The whole idea or "internal only" is
inappropriate for free software, IMHO.

All it can mean is that you might not want
to modify XYZ because at some point Emacs dev
might change the code so that your code that
uses that modification no longer does what
you wrote it to do.

It's a head-up, to save you trouble dealing
with possible code changes. Any more limiting
interpretation of it is misguided, IMO.

User options and faces (the things we provide
Customize for) are _conveniences_.  Customize
exists for a reason, and that reason is not
to imprison users in a corral of only some
variables.

(Just one opinion.)