Re: fido-vertical bindings

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: fido-vertical bindings
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 13:46:40 +0200

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 10:55:29AM +0100, Jo�o T�vora wrote:
Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

Just a question:

Why icomplete-scroll is not a custom?

No-one ever made it a customized variable.  I dislike too many customize
variables,
That's the emacs way ;)

but I don't oppose this one.

But if a variable can be safely changed by the user, then it must be a
custom, otherwise the variable is intended for internal use
right? So the "good" users assume they shouldn't touch it.

There are some others, should we change them too?

icomplete-tidy-shadowed-file-names
icomplete-in-buffer
icomplete-scroll

Expect `fido-vertical-mode` to override whatever you set there, though.

icomplete-separator is overridden by all the vertical modes... so there
is a problem unrespecting the user customs any way.

This is why the initial attempt implementation I did for
icomplete-vertical used to check if there were newlines in
icomplete-separator; to respect somehow the user preferences and not add
new customs.

Fido-vertical-mode has a dropdown-style widget with icomplete-scroll set
to t.  If you don't like that (or or other Fidoesque detail), better
start with icomplete-vertical-mode and compose the many things you like
yourself, until you're happy.

I know, but the idea is that users can go to the customize page and find
the variables he can change and maybe what are the save values for them
if they want to manually tune their config.

Fido-mode is just one particular
customization of these many things that aims to emulate ido-mode (and a
typical dropdown widget, in the case of vertical stuff).

It is not intended to be set by the user?

Users can set non-custom variables, too.

But are harder to discover. The defcustom infrastructure and the
customize-* functions help us, as developers to improve user experience ;)

Jo�o