Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 21:19:27 +0300

> From: Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@thregr.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 19:12:28 +0200
>
> > compiled behind the scenes when first loaded.  With all of them
> > compiled AOT, you will now have an outdated .eln file in the standard
> > place and a new one in your eln-cache, which will definitely confuse
> > or bite you some day.
>
> The way it works now seems logical to me, and I find the current
> behavior totally expected.

It doesn't seem logical to me, FWIW.  It definitely differs from the
behavior with *.elc files: we _replace_ the old ones with the
newly-compiled ones.

> A real question I had for a while now is whether emacs attempts to
> solve the cleanup problem in the user's eln-cache itself.

No.  The user's eln-cache is considered to be the user's
responsibility.

> > The XDG thing was discussed and we decided not to do that.  Again,
> > perhaps if you and others spoke back then, maybe we would make a
> > different decision.
>
> I've currently symlinked the directory to the proper root in ~/.cache,
> mostly to avoid backing it up.

You assume symlinks will transparently work, but they not always do,
as we learned while working on the natively-compilation and pdumper
stuff.