Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 17:32:29 +0200

On Tue, Aug 17 2021, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Storing them in users' home directories also means that every user has
>> to recompile them, and they will be present multiple times on the
>> system.
>
> No, only the users who need a file FOO.eln will compile it and have it
> in their eln-cache.

I run emacs in a server environment under different users regularly, and
I consider this a drawback.

>> The motivation is to compile and install these files once system-wide,
>> instead of duplicating them in all users' directories. Conceptually they
>> aren't user specific but belong to the Emacs package.
>
> That's... not how this was intended to work.
>
> I wonder if anyone else has an opinion here.

As soon as I discovered NATIVE_FULL_AOT, I've been using it. JIT is
nice, but it's relatively easy to trigger. Even if that's async, it's
quite noticeable.

I personally prefer to pay the AOT price in disk space just from a
latency perspective. Which is actually a space saving anyway, in a
multiuser system.

And speaking of opinions, I'd also wish the eln-cache would be stored in
an opportune xdg path when an xdg config is being used ;)