Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 16:03:13 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 14:09:40 +0200
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> writes:
>
> > The motivation is to compile and install these files once system-wide,
> > instead of duplicating them in all users' directories. Conceptually they
> > aren't user specific but belong to the Emacs package.
>
> Yup.  I think there should be a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT,
> and it would be good if distributions distributed the compiled .eln files.

My fear is that this change of concept will delay the release of Emacs
28, because we are moving the carpet under our feet too close to
cutting the release branch, and will most probably bump into problems
we didn't see until now.

Also, please note that the *.eln files are stored without keeping the
subdirectory structure below lisp/, they are all lumped in the same
directory, unlike the *.elc files.  I guess next we will be asked to
preserve the tree structure...