Re: Dired C idea

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Dired C idea
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 22:27:30 +0000

I would like to see some benchmark figures first. For example, I'm not sure that rsync performs better when the target directory does not exist yet, and there's nothing to sync.

I made some comparison between "cp -pr" and "rsync -pr" on shell level. [...] "rsync -pr" is slower than "cp -pr".

Yes, nothing can beat cp;

Is cp really bottleneck at all? Isn't it more likely IO that is limiting operation?

cp does (almost) nothing except IO, so indeed IO is the bottleneck. rsync does more than IO, so it is slower.

Note however that, as Fabrice just said, you should not compare "cp -pr" with "rsync -pr", you should compare "cp -a" with "rsync -a". After "rsync -a SRC DST", another "rsync -a SRC DST" is much, much faster, and when DST already contains 50% of the files in SRC, "rsync -a SRC DST" will take ~50% of the time of a full copy.