oauth2 support for Emacs email clients

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 00:00:29 -0500

A year ago, there was a long thread "Making GNUS continue to work
with Gmail".  Has there been any progress along these lines?

I am asking because my institution uses MS Outlook.  Recently, they
have disabled simple password-based authentication in favor of
oauth2.  Now, using oauth2.el from GNU Elpa, I have got the basics
(authentication and authorization) working.  This required some ugly
configuration within MS Azure.  But I am still some distance away
from a smooth workflow, say, using Gnus.  It is my understanding,
that support of oauth2 within the Emacs ecosystem is rather
incomplete.

Say, oauth2.el advises url-http-handle-authentication.  More
importantly, email clients need to regularly refresh the oauth2
access token.  I believe Emacs is not yet suited for this.  All this
brings me to the limits of my understanding of both the oauth2
protocol and the relevant parts of the emacs code base (I believe
this code resides largely in ./lisp/url.)

Has anybody else been looking into this?  Before I spent more time
on this, first I'd like to make sure that I am not reinventing the
wheel or missing something else.

Thanks,

Roland