Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 08:32:03 +0200

>>> "RW" == Roland Winkler <winkler@gnu.org> writes:

> A year ago, there was a long thread "Making GNUS continue to work
> with Gmail".  Has there been any progress along these lines?

Not that I know off. Google announced that because of Covid they would
postpone their plans, but it seems like the  «Sword of Damocles»,
because somehow emacs should be then registered as a google approved
app, or something like this.

Since my institution uses Gmail (to save money)  I am very worried about
this issue and would be extremely interested in any progress.

> I am asking because my institution uses MS Outlook.  Recently, they
> have disabled simple password-based authentication in favor of
> oauth2.  Now, using oauth2.el from GNU Elpa, I have got the basics
> (authentication and authorization) working.  This required some ugly
> configuration within MS Azure.
> Has anybody else been looking into this?  Before I spent more time
> on this, first I'd like to make sure that I am not reinventing the
> wheel or missing something else.

In my understanding no, unfortunately I don't know about about this
protocol and so can only offer my help for testing.