declare function/macro private

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: declare function/macro private
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 14:27:58 +1000

Given we have a function/macro declare interactive-only property, would it be
worthwhile to consider a `private' property?

Of course there's already the convention of prefix--my-private-function, but my
thinking here is that a program could declare a function/macro as private, then
the compiler could signal a warning/error if that function appeared in a
library outside the library it was defined and declared private.

e.g. in foo.el:

(defun foo-private ()
  (declare (private "use `foo-public' instead."))
  ...)

(provide 'foo)

..in bar.el:

(defun bar-function ()
  (foo-private))

Compiling bar.el would signal a warning/error with hint to use `foo-public'
instead.

--
Paul W. Rankin
https://bydasein.com

The single best thing you can do for the world is to delete your social media
accounts.