Re: src/nsterm.m: fix window tabbing on macOS

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: Re: src/nsterm.m: fix window tabbing on macOS
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 14:09:53 +1000

>>> s-n (make-frame)
>>> s-w (delete-frame)
>>
>> Hmm...  Then "the frame height" refers to the height of different
>> frames?  Does it always increase by the same amount?  Does it ever stop
>> to do that?
>
> Without having looked at it at all I'd imagine the problem is that the
> tab-bar is an extra toolbar below the Emacs toolbar which we will need
> to take into account when calculating the size of the various
> components.
>
> For example, IIRC, the height of the Emacs toolbar is calculated as
> the height of the OS window minus the height of the Emacs view and the
> titlebar. This is clearly not going to be right when we have an extra
> widget in there.

Fwiw, most native macOS app windows can show/hide their toolbar, and when they
do this, the window itself maintains overall size. However in Emacs when
toggling tool-bar-mode the window grows/shrinks in overall size (i.e. maintains
window lines).

So I guess one of the questions here is whether to do these height calculation
to maintain overall window size (and thus consistency with the OS) or to
maintain visible window lines.

Sorry I would like to provide more insights here but I'm still at the very
early stages of learning C.