Re: src/nsterm.m: fix window tabbing on macOS

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: Re: src/nsterm.m: fix window tabbing on macOS
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 22:19:57 +1000

> On 6 Jun 2021, at 9:36 pm, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jun 06, 2021 at 07:07:53PM +0900, Naofumi Yasufuku wrote:
>>
>> I found the following issues with this macOS native tab commit.
>> Does anyone else encounter the same problems?
>>
>> 1) Frame height increases (even if frame-inhibit-implied-resize is t).
>>    01_macOS-tab-issue-increases-height.gif
>>    01_macOS-tab-issue-increases-height-2.gif … (sets
>> frame-inhibit-implied-resize t)
>
> Strangely I don't see this. The frame stays the same height...

Alan did you see my video of this in action?
https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/pwr-share/emacs_nsterm.mov

>> 2) New tab name is ‘emacs’ instead of buffer name.
>>    (even if C-x 5 C-f `find-file-other-frame’)
>>    02_macOS-tab-issue-odd-tab-name.gif
>
> It turns out that when multiple NSViews are put into one NSWindow
> using tabs, AppKit doesn't bother telling all the views to update
> themselves when the window changes, it appears to only message the
> currently visible one. This is a problem.
>
> The tab name issue can be sorted with this change:

Interestingly this only happens with tool-bar-mode on. With eamcs -Q
(tool-bar-mode 0) new frames/tabs get the correct name. Which makes me wonder
if it's another case of some code somewhere interfering?

>> 3) Tabs are not shown in fullscreen.
>>    03_macOS-tab-fullscreen-expected-textedit.gif. .. e.g. macOS Test Edit app
>>    03_macOS-tab-issue-fullscreen-emacs.gif

Yeah we're considering this a separate nice-to-have, right?