Re: Unicode combining characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode combining characters
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 16:44:24 +0300

> From: Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 18:57:58 +0530
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  OK, I improved this case now on master, please take a look.
>
> Wonderful!! It works. Thanks.

Thanks for testing.

> Do you think (current-column) should also return a value conforming to the
> display logic? e.g. if 'ra' above is
> the first character in the line and point next to it, should it report 1 or 2?

That'd be too much, IMO.  current-column is called in many places, and
it would be unexpected for it to return different values depending on
the font and the frame.  The correspondence between these two
functions is not 100% now anyway (e.g., current-column is sensitive to
auto-composition-mode, whereas string-width isn't).

Lisp programs that need 100% accuracy in these matters should call
window-text-pixel-size.