Re: GUI X-FreeDesktop integration

From: Peter Oliver
Subject: Re: GUI X-FreeDesktop integration
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 13:14:23 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 25 May 2021, Peter Oliver wrote:

On Sunday 16th May, Robin Tarsiger wrote:

 In fact, the _least_ surprising from
 an XDG/FDO perspective would actually be to _only_ expose
 a "client+autolaunch" desktop entry and just call that the
 point of integration for Emacs.

Agreed.  Attached is a patch which achieves this.

After a bit more testing, I discovered a snag.

I believe that the default behaviour when opening a file from a desktop’s file
manager should be to open it in an existing GUI frame if one exists, or a new
GUI frame if one does not.  Clicking Emacs in a desktop’s application launcher
should open a new GUI frame.

The trouble is that, if Emacs is running as a daemon with no frames,
`emacsclient /path/to/foo` will create a new TTY frame rather than a GUI frame.
 Should this behaviour be changed so that a GUI frame is preferred if $DISPLAY
is set?  While we’re here, should we report an error if there is no display and
no TTY?

--
Peter Oliver