Re: GUI X-FreeDesktop integration

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: GUI X-FreeDesktop integration
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 18:29:34 +0700

On Fri, 14 May 2021 at 14:55, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Fri, May 14 2021, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Does emacs.desktop work for emacsclient invocations as well?  If so,
> > why did we add emacsclient.desktop on master?  (I know nothing about
> > GNOME desktop and its use protocols.)
>
> I don't know, and I don't have a clue how to go about testing that. AFAIK a
> .desktop file allows you to put a launcher in the dock and in the Applications
> menu of your GUI and that's it.

No, that’s not (only) it. A .desktop file:

* Puts a launcher in the Applications menu so you can launch the application.
* Optionally, associates an application with a set of MIME types so
you can open documents with that application from your file manager,
mail client, and other applications.
* Optionally, associates an application with an URL scheme so you can
open URLs in that application.

A simple .desktop file only has a single command line defined. It is
also possible to define multiple actions with different command lines
and supporting launcher GUIs will expose those actions to the user,
but etc/emacs.desktop in current master does not use this capability.

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-1.1.html