Re: Unicode combining characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode combining characters
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 21:39:50 +0300

> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 14:15:33 -0400
>
> On 5/25/21 1:24 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> From: Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com>
> >> Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 21:26:44 +0530
> >>
> >> Hindi Devanagari script has lot of unicode combining characters which
> >> results in misalignment in a
> >> rectangular overlay for constant number of characters (screenshot )
> >> What would be a recommended way to tackle this in Emacs?
> >
> > Use align-to 'space' display spec and/or the window-text-pixel-size
> > function, which will account for the actual size of the text on
> > display.
>
> Will this work? The misaligned specs are already part of a replacing dipsplay
> spec, so the additional align-to would be ignored, no?

I don't understand, but maybe you know about the particular use case
more than I do.  I just mentioned two devices that can be accurate to
1 pixel wrt to the X coordinate.

> (IIRC, there is no way to say "replace this text by this string followed by
> this specified space; it's one or the other, right?)

Again, I don't think I follow.  If you have "this text", you can
calculate its width on display, and then know how many pixels of white
space you will need after "this string" replaces that text.  So,
unless I'm missing something, specifying the space width is redundant,
and actually makes a solvable problem unsolvable.

But I might be talking nonsense because I don't understand what
problem the OP wants to solve.