Re: emacsclient in elisp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacsclient in elisp
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 17:21:01 -0400

> Without that, I don't think I understand the use case you want to
> support in sufficient detail.

I'd expect in the server a loop like:

    (while t
      (let ((cmd (read-from-minibuffer "")))
        (process-command cmd)))

where `process-command` may launch async subprocesses or initiate
network connections or send commands to network connections, and the
above loop will not always immediately send replies but instead they may
be sent from the process filters and/or sentinels.

With the current implementation of `read-from-minibuffer` this above
loop won't work because there is no time where process filters and
timers are processed, including when we're waiting in
`read-from-minibuffer`.

        Stefan