Re: emacsclient in elisp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacsclient in elisp
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 11:33:23 -0400

>> The next line may not come from another half-hour, or even "for ever" if
>> the other side is waiting for our (asynchronous) answer before sending the
>> next command.
> So don't call read-from-minibuffer until you have processed the
> previous job and sent out the results.

That can prevent "streaming" like uses where you can receive several
requests before you have the info needed to answer the first requests.
Or other situations where you want to reply to requests out of order.

>> There are cases where it's usable, but there are cases where it's
>> a non-starter.
> Why focus on the latter?

Because it's the situation that Daniel is into, AFAIK (and because the
other situations are already taken care of by the infrastructure we
have, so we (Emacs developers working on the infrastructure for
developers of third party packages) don't need to worry about those
other cases).

        Stefan