Re: native-comp *Warnings* buffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: native-comp *Warnings* buffer
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 12:23:50 -0400

> I guess usage. I only see the *Compilation* buffer when I've
> done something to ask for it (updating packages, etc), and it's over
> relatively quickly. These warnings went on for many long minutes, at
> random intervals. I was trying to work in two side-by-side buffers, and
> it kept stealing the other one -- I even switched frames once the
> *Warnings* buffer was open, but it followed me to the new frame.

I think "stealth" compilation performed opportunistically in the
background should indeed not display any warnings (by default).

> I could do a patch for that, but the existing mechanisms *are* pretty
> thorough: big prominent buttons that do exactly what they promise to do
> (I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't just read the instructions).

Don't those buttons also suppress the warnings for the normal
(non-async, non-native) compilation case?  If so, we should be careful
not to encourage the users to do that when they're only annoyed by the
async warnings.

        Stefan