Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 13:32:48 +0000

What I consider to be "horribly wrong" is to replace DEL _everywhere_ by <Backspace>, which was the original suggestion above. I don't object to handling <Delete> like DEL in this particular case, especially since we already did that, since long ago,

This is what I understood, and why I made the same suggestion. I couldn't believe that binding [delete] to scroll-up-command could be wrong.

and it somehow regressed.

It's because the handling of Delete has changed in Emacs 24. It became "deletechar", it was "delete" earlier. Replacing the two occurrences of "delete" by "deletechar" in help-macro.el fixes the regression. Patch attached.