Re: Adding transient to Emacs core

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding transient to Emacs core
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 16:01:10 +0300

> From: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 14:39:14 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> So what do you think; should [we] proceed with this?
> >
> > Yes, please.  Externally maintained packages are nothing new in Emacs;
> > see Org, for example.
>
> Should I just push this to master myself or open a ticket in debbugs?

Depends on how you feel about its current form.  If you want some kind
of review and comments before pushing, debbugs is better.  But if you
are certain the code is in good shape and any comments are bound to be
minor, please go ahead and push.

> Should I add it as "lisp/transient.el" or "lisp/emacs-lisp/transient.el"?

IMO, lisp.  Too many defcustom's and defface's to consider this
low-level infrastructure.

> I'm also going to add this NEWS entry:
>
> > ** transient.el
> >
> > This library implements support for powerful keyboard-driven menus.
> > Such menus can be used as simple visual command dispatchers.  More
> > complex menus take advantage of infix arguments, which are somewhat
> > similar to prefix arguments, but are more flexible and discoverable.

It's a start, thanks.