Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 17:26:12 +0300

Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, philipk@posteo.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 15:43:16 +0300

We're talking about the second completion prompt, when you have picked
an identifier to navigate to, but there are multiple matching locations
to jump to.

Right now you see an *xref* buffer in such situation, but
xref-show-definitions-completing-read uses completing-read (a second
time) instead.

That could also be a large list, e.g. if I typed the name of a large
class.

True. It's not so critical an issue (the list will be truncated), you just won't get the most benefit from the streamlined workflow in this case.

What is worse, the completion candidates are displayed in a format
very different from the one I saw before typing RET.  It's almost as
if the completion method was switched under my feet.  Very confusing.

Perhaps if the completion method (text-expansion vs selection) was also switched, as is the case in my Emacs, it will be much less confusing.

And the latter method showed all options right away.