Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 03:04:50 +0300

On 12.04.2021 04:32, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Oh, now I understand what you meant: it's not a problem because I was
suggesting to add an option that would cause the default completion to
bring up*Completions*  eagerly without the user having to hit anything
like TAB.

I had a rather more involved scenario in mind:

- Start completion, *Completions* is shown (ok).
- Switch to *Completion*, press 'q' (because sometimes you need to see the buffer that was in that window, for example). *Completions* is hidden.
- Can't bring it back because TAB only cycles.

But ok, '?' will bring it back, if you know that binding and didn't change it.

But the default completion UI should be improved w.r.t the*Completions*
buffer, in that I think the buffer should be automatically refreshed
when it's displayed, and also when you cycle it would make a lot of
sense to highlight the choice that it selected somehow.

Sure.