Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 17:56:27 +0300

> Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 14:36:53 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: spacibba@aol.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org, juri@linkov.net
>
> C-s isearch : you are searching forward
> M-s M-> : you want to see the last occurrence (which corresponds to your
> search direction : forward), yet it says "Failing I-search"
> M-s M-> : you are now on the first line of isearch.el
> M-s M-> : "Failing wrapped I-search"

After the first "M-s M->", why do you keep pressing "M-x M->"? why not
C-s?

> C-r isearch : you are searching backward
> M-s M-< : you want to see the first occurrence (which corresponds to your
> search direction : backward), yet it says "Failing I-search backward"
> M-s M-< : you are now on the last line of isearch.el
> M-s M-< : "Failing wrapped I-search backward"
>
> How on earth could such a behavior be considered a feature?

That's not the scenario I had in mind.

But if you want the above to be useful, why not ask whoever
implemented that the question about the rationale?  And since when are
we fixing a buggy behavior by modifying it in weird unexpected ways?