Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 11:48:36 +0000

isearch-beginning-of-buffer changes the direction to 'forward' because it makes no sense to keep it 'backward' - there are no matches before the first match.

Are you excluding the wrapped-isearch use case?

I replied to Gregory about this use case that it's less useful than to get ready to go forward with the next C-s.

That might be your personal opinion, but it doesn't have to be everyone else's.

I don't understand what the point is here. If isearch-beginning-of-buffer is called, point moves to BOB, and isearch is restarted forward, which jumps to the first match. That's what the docstring says: "Go to the first occurrence of the current search string." That doesn't mean that wrapping isn't possible anymore, C-r C-r C-r (or just C-r C-r with isearch-wrap-pause 'no) works as usual.

If you do not change the search direction after moving to BOB, the result is not what you would expect. For example, after C-r:

- with isearch-wrap-pause t, M-< tells you "failing I-search backward" even if there are in fact occurrences of the search string between point and BOB, and a second M-< will jump to the last occurrence in the buffer;

- with isearch-wrap-pause 'no, M-< jumps immediate to the last occurrence in the buffer.