Re: Question collaborative editing.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Question collaborative editing.
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 15:46:12 +0300

* Qiantan Hong <qhong@mit.edu> [2020-10-27 08:11]:
> Hi, now that I’ve almost done with other part I’m
> looking back into this connectivity problem.
>
> I mentioned the idea of messaging over IRC, however
> after thinking a bit more on that approach, seems that
> IRC has no reliability guarantee and I’ll have to implement
> tcp-over-irc.el … that already seems like much more work
> than expected.
>
> ICE/STUN looks like the usual way to do the NAT traversal,
> however I didn’t find any tcp tunnel over ICE/STUN that
> I can use directly in Emacs. Does any one know any?

Just as Gobby editor, it leaves connecting issues to the
administrator, it does not solves it itself. It is external issue.

Collaboration will be first taking place within local networks within
organizations. For example people connected to Wi-Fi access points or
wired networks.

Then between persons just as gaming peer to peer, it is possible to
expose port on the router.

Then there are solutins with tunneling and SSH port forwarding, then
directly by setting up Emacs as server remotely without port forward.

--
Jean Louis