Re: NonGNU ELPA and release frequency

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA and release frequency
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 19:37:00 +0200

On 26.10.2020 06:10, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > So, if someone wants to be in NonGNU elpa should not be using github? If
   > this is the case then why it is fine for ELPA package to be in github
   > but it won't be fine for NonGNU ELPA?

I haven't come to a conclusion about that.  I see a few possibilities.

* If the Emacs maintainers who work on this package have Github accounts,
in principle we could deal with it on GitHub.

All right, then.

* We could make a repo on Savannah that has a more-or-less copy of the
GitHub repo, and our maintainers could when necessary make their
changes there.

It depends on whether the package maintainer is cooperating with us.
If so, the first option is possible.  If not, we would certainly do
the latter.

Would we have packages where the maintainers don't cooperate, though?

At best, such a package should be a fork, but then it could also be renamed, and then hosted on Savannah, or wherever.

In the common case, the package maintainer should in contact.

The GNU ELPA experience shows that unilateral changes coming from "us" and not from maintainers are rare. They should be rarer still in the case of Non-GNU ELPA.