Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 14:38:07 +0300

* Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> [2020-10-20 14:04]:
> Le mar. 20 oct. 2020 ?? 11:48, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> a ??crit :
> >
> > * Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> [2020-10-20 11:23]:
> > > I agree, but that's because of difficulties inherent to polling, not
> > > because of a bias that could have been easily avoided.
> >
> > It is not difficult, it is one simple stupid HTML, make it nice with
> > CSS, form can be accepted and saved in file for later processing.
>
> Yes, I thought I was clearly stating that the difficulties I was
> referring to were not related to the form of the survey, where in my
> opinion they did choose a reasonable path.

20 years ago we were handling forms with Perl's form.cgi

For me is surprising that Emacs survey has to be done with third party
providers. If anybody would ask me, I would make it in simple HTML,
what I already proposed, and I could install the background CGI to
accept the form.

> The difficulties are inherent to polling and concern reaching a
> sufficiently large sample, weighing it for representativity, etc.

Both ways how the surve have been presented with the proprietary
Javascript and with the download of the Org file, are not user
friendly and cannot reach large sample. One also needs marketing
skills.