Re: ~Make emacs friendlier: package documentation [POC CODE INCLUDED]

From: Boruch Baum
Subject: Re: ~Make emacs friendlier: package documentation [POC CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 22:59:25 -0400

On 2020-10-19 05:24, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 16:18:34 -0400
> >
> > > IOW what would be the advantage of adding a link in `C-h P` to your
> > > system, instead of just replacing `C-h P` with your system?
> >
> > Oh, having just tried it, I see one other advantage: the current `C-h p`
> > displays much more quickly because it doesn't need to load `org-mode`,
> > which tends to take a while (not insanely long either, but long enough
> > to be noticeable).
>
> That is a general issue with using Org for other features: it takes
> eons to load.

Yeah, I noticed it when checking emacs-snapshot for outline-cycle.
I never noticed it before probably because my emacs loads it at start up
to create the emacs init file. I'm ok with trying outline-minor-mode
instead of org-mode once the cycle / navigation features are committed / merged.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0